Stuff Your Never Knew About The Crocodile
- The back skin or “hornback” is covered in bones (called osteoderms) and has been used by some tribal people as protection against spears, arrows and even bullets!
- The word crocodile originates from the Ancient Greek word crocodilos, which means “lizard.”
- Crocodiles have a much more powerful bite than caimans or alligators. In fact a croc bite is the strongest bite of any animal in the world and that includes the great white shark!
- Crocs poikilothermic (cold blooded), they have a very slow metabolism and can survive for up to 2 years without any food!
- 70 years is the average lifespan of a croc. Some crocodiles are thought to be more than 100 years old. “Mr Freshy” in the Australian zoo was rescued by Bob and Steve Irwin and is estimated to be 130 years old!
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by Xavier Ganz (see all)
- Strange Animal Facts #4 - September 2, 2018
- Strange Animal Facts #3 - August 20, 2018
- Watch Your Wallet – A Guide for Teens and Credit Cards - August 17, 2018